New Rochelle school board President Chrisanne Petrone weighed in (if lightly) this morning on the hazing incident at Isaac E. Young Middle School that we reported on today.
In a nutshell: A number of students were suspended and the remaining three games of the school football team’s season were cancelled after a locker room hazing incident involving the team. The district has said almost nothing else about the incident except that it happened in late October and that police were called and determined that no crime had been committed.
Police Detective Capt. Joseph Schaller said the incident was described as a “towel whipping.”
While reporting on it yesterday, I left a phone message for Petrone, which was not returned. Today, school district spokesman Paul Costiglio sent me a short note:
I understand that you reached out to Chrisanne Petrone for comment on the incident at Isaac Young. All she has to say is the following:
“The school district administration acted swiftly and appropriately in this matter.”
Costiglio also attached the statement the district released yesterday:
OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT OF NEW ROCHELLE
After a report of an incident involving members of the Isaac Young Middle School football team in the locker room in late October, a thorough investigation was launched by the principal that involved the New Rochelle Police Department. After it was determined that no criminal activity had taken place, the school took appropriate disciplinary action. Students involved in the incident were suspended and the balance of the team’s football season was cancelled.
In addition, on Thursday, October 25th, parents of the students on the football team were invited to a meeting with the principal at which time the matter was discussed and parents were informed of the investigation and the consequences for the students.